In Elizabeth II’s garage there were not only Land Rovers, Jaguars, Rolls Royces and Aston Martins. Elizabeth II also drove a … Citroën!
Throughout her life, the Queen has valued cars. She shared this passion with her husband, Prince Philip. And it’s all thanks to the strange Citroenche she rode as a youngster.
The museum at Sandringham, home to one of the royal residences, until recently housed an exhibition of the Queen’s amazing possessions. In particular, vehicles belonging to Windsor: from a giant Merryweather fire engine from 1939 to a small C4 Citroënnette from the late 1920s.
For us, the most interesting is this C4 Citroënnette. This is a fully electric car, developed back in 1928. It was with him that the Queen and her sister Princess Margaret rode in their childhood.
The length of the car is 1.9 meters, and its motor is powered by a 12-volt battery. The maximum speed of the electric car was 15 kilometers per hour.
In 1950, the car needed restoration and the original C4 radiator grille was then replaced with a Daimler grille. Why?
Because this car manufacturer was the first official supplier of cars to the British crown.
The car was later gifted to Prince Charles, hence its registration number PC 1953 (Prince Charles’ initials and year of gift).