The Dresden kidnapper died after being arrested

Killed his mother, shot journalists, then took hostages in a shopping mall

The man who was detained by police in the German city of Dresden after taking two hostages in the Altmarkt-Galerie shopping center has died of wounds sustained during the police operation to free the abductees, German authorities said, quoted by DPA.

The forty-year-old man is also suspected of murdering his mother, as well as of shooting at the building that houses Radio Dresden.

According to the police, the two hostages – a child and an employee of the shopping center – were released without visible injuries after the operation, which was carried out by a special tactical unit.

It is not yet clear whether the suspect self-harmed or was injured by police units.

Law enforcement officials refused to provide additional details about the operation, BTA reported.

The hostage crisis at the Altmarkt-Galerie in central Dresden was preceded by other violent incidents in the eastern part of the city.

Shortly after seven o’clock in the morning local time, the police found the lifeless body of the man’s 62-year-old mother in a residential building in the Prolis district.

About an hour later, the man broke into the building that houses Radio Dresden, according to the media’s executive director.

The attacker did not manage to open the door, but fired at the offices of the radio station through a gap.

The radio operators were able to escape without being physically injured.

The suspect then went to the Altmarkt-Galerie shopping center and barricaded himself in a room with the hostages.

The police said that before the special forces entered, negotiators contacted the kidnapper by phone.

The man appeared to be mentally disturbed and it is still believed that he suffered from a mental illness.

The interior minister of the state of Lower Saxony, Armin Schuster, said he was shocked by what happened and that the attacker acted alone, Reuters noted.


Related Articles

Back to top button