The McLaren team has officially confirmed that Oscar Piastri will be the team’s driver from 2023. The announcement said that the Australian’s contract was “multi-year”, but did not specify how long. This ends the saga with Piastri, which started after Fernando Alonso announced that he was going to Aston Martin, and the youngster refused to drive for Alpin.
However, the decision by F1’s driver contracts board states that Piastri will be a McLaren driver in 2023 and 2024. It also says that the contract between the Australian and McLaren was signed on July 4, 2022 – almost a full month away. before ever Sebastian Vettel announced he was ending his F1 career and then Alonso took his place.
We have signed the 2021 F2 champion @OscarPiastri.
Oscar joins Lando to form our exciting F1 driver line-up from 2023. 👊
Full story. ⬇️
— McLaren (@McLarenF1) September 2, 2022
“I am very excited to make my debut in Formula 1 with such a prestigious team as McLaren and I am grateful for the opportunity offered to me,” commented Piastre
“The team has a great tradition of giving young drivers a chance. I look forward to working hard alongside Lando to push the team forward to the front of the grid. I am focused on preparing for my F1 debut and the start of my Papaya career.”
— Oscar Piastri (@OscarPiastri) September 2, 2022
Grand Prix team boss Andreas Seidl said the entire team was excited to welcome Piastri to McLaren.
“He’s had a remarkable career so far. We are sure that, together with Lando, they will help us take another step forward in terms of our ambitions. We still have important work to do this season and that is the main focus now. After that, we will try to integrate Oscar into the team as quickly as possible,” Seidl added.
Zac Brown, who is a major player in the Piastri saga, also said he was happy to welcome the 21-year-old Piastri.
“To win the Formula 3 and Formula 2 titles in consecutive debut races is a real achievement and a testament to his talent. In the faces of Lando and Oscar, we have a young pilot tandem with talent and enormous potential,” he added.
Alpine released a brief statement that read:
“Alpin thanks the board for the contracts and notes its decision. We consider the case closed. We will announce our 2023 driver line-up shortly. We will now focus on the Dutch Grand Prix and the pursuit of points in our battle for fourth place in the Constructors’ Championship.”