Days after Prince Harry’s memoirs were accidentally released earlier with new claims of discord and conflict within the British royal family, a new series of television interviews with him will begin airing in Britain today with the prospect of further great damage to the monarchy, reported Reuters, quoted by BTA.
Harry’s book Spare, which went on sale in Spain this week, five days before its official launch, details not only highly personal details such as how he lost his virginity and took drugs, but also reveals more intimate personal cases of family disharmony.
In the book, Harry recounts how his older brother, Crown Prince William, knocked him to the ground in a fight and how the two brothers begged their father, King Charles, not to marry his second wife, Camilla, now Queen Consort.
Observers say it has plunged the monarchy into its biggest crisis since the 1990 events surrounding the breakdown of Charles’ marriage to his late first wife Princess Diana, the mother of William and Harry.
All this happens only four months after the death of Queen Elizabeth and the ascension of Charles to the throne, notes Reuters.
“So here’s Charles trying to establish himself as the new king, and now Harry drops this bombshell and everything comes crashing down on him,” royal biographer Tina Brown said.
Since Harry and Meghan stepped down from royal duties and moved to California in 2020, the two have condemned the way they have been treated by the royals and the palace.
From their interview with Oprah Winfrey in 2021 to their six-part Netflix documentary series last month and now Harry’s book, the couple’s message is the same: that the royals and their aides have not only failed to protect them from the hostile and sometimes racist British press, but there has also been an active leakage of negative stories about them.
So far, there has been no comment from Buckingham Palace or anyone speaking on behalf of the royal family – a position praised by much of the British media as dignified silence.
Today, Harry’s public thoughts will continue to be made available to the general public with three more television interviews scheduled to air. Their airtime was set ahead of the official launch of Harry’s book on Tuesday next week. Pre-aired clips of them show that the younger son of King Charles III wants to represent his side of the story.
“I don’t know how keeping quiet is going to make things better,” Harry says in his interview with British television channel ITV, which will be shown first.
Polls show that many Britons are growing weary of all the royal melodrama, and further revelations are unlikely to sway their views, whether they sympathize with Harry and Meghan or those who criticize them. However, Harry’s book was No.1 on Amazon’s UK bestseller list yesterday and was available for pre-order ahead of its official release.
Royal historian Emily Andrews says that given Britain’s current cost-of-living crisis, support for the grievances of a privileged prince living on a California estate may be limited.
“They’re polarizing, Harry and Meghan, and I think this new Harry book is probably not going to change a lot of people’s opinions,” Andrews told Reuters.
“I think it’s getting over the top, it’s getting past the saturation point and people are thinking they don’t want to listen anymore, saying shut up, go away,” she concluded.